Welcome to The DoodleBLOG!

Hello and welcome to the DoodleBLOG. The official blog of The Doodlebug, Inc. Your scrapbook store, and more!

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Mixed Media Layouts Made Easy

Hey there Doodlebug friends!  Have you ever looked at same of the amazing mixed media style scrapbook layouts and thought wow, that's amazing, but looks too difficult?  Well, I'm here to show you today that isn't hard at all to make one of these layouts.  Take a good look at this layout below and then we will go through the steps to create all of the layers shown!




The first step to starting any mixed media layout is to give your paper a coat of clear gesso.  It also helps to use a heavy weight paper like 49 & Market.  I personally like Finnabair's gessos the best. I have heard there has been a shipping delay of some of her products due to the Covid-19, but if you would like to purchase them, Hannah can add you to the special order list. I dry the gesso with a heat gun from the front and back, making sure to not get too close to the paper which will cause it to curl. 

On this layout I then used TCW Light and Fluffy Modeling Paste.  This is by far my fav paste for adding texture with stencils. I also dried this with my heat gun.  Next I added some brown to the background by spraying the page with water then adding Distress Oxide Spray in Vintage Photo  .  I spread the oxide around with a paintbrush adding more water and blotting with a baby wipe as needed to achieve the color shown here.  I then added distress oxide inks by smushing them on an acrylic block and adding water.  I also added more water and blotted as needed during this process. I dried the page after I added each color to give it a layered look rather than allowing the colors to mix. I also added a few splattered of the oxide spray to the page.

I arranged and attached my paper layers and embellishments like a normal layout. I did add some cheesecloth for texture between some of the layers.  I also used scrap chipboard to raise some of the layers so that the resin embellishments fit nicely underneath the paper.  



After I finished the layout I gave it some finishing touches with Art Stones and Dina Wakely's new gloss spray.  I used soft matte gel to adhere the stone.  I started by placing the largest size stones, then adding the regular size, and finally sprinkling the mini art stones on top.  Lastly I splattered the entire page with white gloss spray.  These little details are what take nice page to a wow! page. 

Below you will find links to all of the products I used on this page!












No comments: