Welcome to The DoodleBLOG!

Hello and welcome to the DoodleBLOG. The official blog of The Doodlebug, Inc. Your scrapbook store, and more!

Friday, July 24, 2020

Tackling a big Memory Keeping Project (AKA Shawn’s Wedding Album – Part 1)


 

 So, some of you MIGHT have heard me mention once (or a million times). That I was getting married. Maybe you heard me whine about having to relocate the even because of this stupid virus. Maybe you heard that it was like a fairy tale and I had the zaniest, craziest Ring Bearer and Flower Girl in the history of wedding.  Or maybe not. Regardless, the big day happened just about a month ago and now that I have all the thank you cards sent and everything put away and all of the leftovers eaten, it is time to get to work on my wedding album.

OK – BUT WAIT!!!!! – BEFORE you click off this post because you got married like 30 years ago and you have ZERO interest in weddings at the moment, bear with me.  I am using my wedding album as an example here.  This same process and ideas can be applied to just about any large-scale scrappy project, like a baby album, vacation album, senior book or even a mini-book album to give as a gift. I know this because I’ve used this same theory over and over – but you would never know it from looking at the finished products.

Step 1 – Begin with the end in mind. 

Close your eyes. Picture what the finished project looks like.  No, not every page – just the basics.  Is it one album? Two?  A mini book?  A collage for your wall?  Seven albums busting at the seams (hopefully not this one)?  Open your eyes.  It’s not nap time! We need to be working on this project! So, now you know where you are headed.  (These are IDEAS – and NOT my photos)




Step 2 – Narrow down this big picture.

Think a bit more about your vision for the project, and what you are dealing with in terms of the amount of photos/memorabilia that you know need to be included.  In my case I know I plan on at least two books.  One I plan on being a more formal “wedding album” type book and the other more fun and relaxed where I plan to mix regular layouts and pocket pages.  The more formal book is likely to have more single-photo layouts that focus more on portraits with less journaling, while the more fun book will house the bulk of the photos to really tell the story of our day. (Also, I haven't decide which album is which yet - and I'm not sure the one with the name is EXACTLY what I want, so here they are- thoughts??)


Step 3 – START thinking about product. (and maybe buying some)

WOO HOO!!  Time to start shopping!! But go slow here.  Don’t just buy everything that says “wedding” or “baby”, or even everything Rose Gold (hey, I’m giving the advice here, not necessarily TAKING it) Buying too much will not only waste precious $$ and annoy your spouse but it can bury you in too many options, which is just what we need to avoid.  If you are doing a traditional album, now is a good time to look for the album itself.  That may help you choose some of the other product to come later.  If you know you like the idea of using most one or two collections, purchasing them at this point is also good.  Depending on your project timeline, you may spend an hour picking some products or if you are like me you will spread it out over a few months as you work on the project, or plan the event. Just keep in mind you DO NOT have to buy everything right this minute.  You can always come back to shopping later as you figure out more that you need. For me, this meant buying my two albums and a couple of collections I plan to use (“Timeless” by Authentique and “Apricot Honey” by Prima).  But this does not HAVE to mean you buy collections.  It may just mean picking a color scheme, or even finding that ONE product you are going to use to tie the project together.  In one baby album project I did, I had a large circular embellishment for each month of the baby’s first year and I worked each layout around those.


Step 4 – Break it down

This is the spot where the work really gets serious.  For this step, you will start wherever you usually start your process of making pages.  If you start with sketches or Kiwi Lane templates and pick papers and in them and the photos come last, start there.  If your process (like mine) pretty much ALWAYS starts with photos, you will obviously need to wait for those to really get a good start.  I am currently in this phase and already have a few hundred photos with a few hundred more coming soon from the photographer.  Here is where your earlier steps are really going to help you out.  I am planning a 20-30 page book for my “formal” album, and know I will probably want mostly larger single photos.  I intend to basically pick my favorite photos, while keeping in mind that all of the most important things and people need a place in this album, even if I have to pick some less “perfect” photos to make that happen.

For this step I create a folder on my computer called “print” and start dragging or copying all the photos that I KNOW I want in albums into the file.  Then I will have a file for my “Formal” book, and a file for my “casual” book.  For the formal book, I will probably number the photos for the order they will go in in the book.  For the casual book, I’ll have photos arranged by the subject of the page(s) they go on and probably worry about the order later. So I might have “Cake 1….Cake 2….Cake 3”…..”Guests1…Guests 2…guests 3…” etc. Next, I decide on the sizes I want and get the pictures ordered.  If you (like me) have a project that you are anxious to get started on, be SURE you take notes about what size you ordered of each photo.  That way you can start scrapping, even if the photos have not arrived yet.

                                                          

Step 5 – Keep Organizing (or don’t)

I’ll admit, sometimes I have done this step and sometimes not.  When I HAVE done it, I have really liked how quickly I feel like I am able to get a book to come together – but to be honest I find the process pretty tedious and there are part of me that think it’ easier just to get scrapping and let the chips fall where they may.

Essentially what I do here is use the book itself as an organization tool.  I put the photos (If I have them – if not I make a note – like “Cake 1” on an index card - you can even use the size of card the same size as your photo to REALLY help yourself out) and put them in the page protectors of my album in order.  That way, if there are any specific papers or embellishments you want to use, or pieces of memorabilia, you can stick them in there also and they are ready to go. 

If you don’t want to go quite THAT far, but still want to organize, you can always create a written outline just to sort of keep track of what you want to do and what order things go in.

Step 6 – Well get to it, already!!

Just what it sounds like – Get to work.  You may choose to do every page in order, or skip around.  One of the benefits of being more organized up front (at least for me) is that it lets me feel more “free” during the creative part of the process to work on whatever inspires me at the moment.  If I’m hungry, I might choose to avoid scrapping pictures of the cake at that moment…which BY THE WAYYYY….

                                   

As always…if I can answer any questions please shoot me a message or let Hannah know and I’ll be happy to help.  Sorry in advance for all the upcoming wedding hoopla! (but not really)…

Until next time…..from my Happily Ever After to yours,

Shawn

                                        

No comments: