Welcome to The DoodleBLOG!

Hello and welcome to the DoodleBLOG. The official blog of The Doodlebug, Inc. Your scrapbook store, and more!

Monday, September 28, 2020

Cards and Projects (by Shawn) with the Deck the Halls Bundle

 
Hi Doodlebug Friends! Shawn here with some more projects using the “Deck the Halls” bundle. First – and maybe most important, you can get your own bundle at:
https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Deck-the-Halls-Bundle-x51440265.htm
 
Here is what you get (cardstock NOT included) – pretty sure the stamps and dies alone are worth $40:



 
I loved the versatility of this bundle AND that it included a couple of options you can use for Halloween and Fall as well. 
 
I worked with this kit at the recent Doodlebug Retreat and I didn’t really have much paper for Halloween with me, so I didn’t do any of that (yet). Since the kit even includes a 6x6 paper pad it really would be a great resource for making a BUNCH of cards – just add some bases and some cardstock and OFF YOU GO!!!
 
***Wait - what?  You’ve never been to a retreat? – you should TOTALLY sign up and join us some time – they are AMAZING!!!!  - not to mention that I am usually there – which should be enough reason to go right there!  LOL** If packing to scrap on-the-go is what keeps you away, be sure to check out my next blog post for some tips that might make it a little less intimidating.
 
But back to the cards.

Card 1
 
For this card, I did want to do something with a little bit of a fall theme and I got these VERY COOL gilding flakes (here is a link to some in silver: https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Nuvo-Gilding-Flakes-Silver-Bullionn-x31666086.htm) that I thought would be perfect.  The white strip with the stars and the brown printed paper are from the 6x6 pad, and the card base is from my stash.  The rest of the leaves are just cardstock. 
 
Not sure how well it shows in the photo, but the leaf die actually embosses as well as cutting, but it was pretty subtle.  I think if you use a metal shim in your machine you might get more of the embossing but I didn’t really mind it being faint.  I used some brown ink and the handy ink tool at the end of my arm (also known as my finger) to just faintly highlight that embossing. 
 



Card 2  
 
I really enjoyed the fun washi tape from the kit and making it into a background seemed like a fun way to use it.  Like most washi, it is a little bit translucent so to use it as a background, I adhered it to white cardstock. I cut a piece just a bit narrower than my card so I could wrap the tape around the edge for a cleaner look. 
 
The green ribbon is from the kit as are the stamped tree and sentiment.
 
Another card base from my stash (trying to use those up)
 
I used bling that comes in strips for the “ornaments” on my tree and they don’t line up perfectly, but this didn’t really bother me. Smaller bling might be easier to line up, or using induvial bling or even small punched circles would work, too! This tree would look great with lots of punched circles of loads of colors and patterns.



Card 3

Ok, this one is probably my favorite.  I used the holly leaves die and the holly berries die to make a wreath.  I traced a circle (kiwi lane ring template) on my pattern paper to use as a guide. I used 12 of the leaf sets and just one of the berry sets, and one red bow.  I used foam tape top pop of the layers and used one of the berries in the middle of my bow to add dimension. If you look closely, you will see that this die also does some embossing on the leaves and the bow. Again, with the same boring card base. (Don’t worry – I do make a couple without that base)




 
Card 4
 
See?  No kraft card base!  (aren’t you proud of me?) So…….This card took like FOREVER!!! I’m not much of a stamper, not that great at coloring, and boy am I TERRIBLE at fussy cutting!  But it’s really not that bad, all things considered.  I really thought the stamps (fireplace, garland, stocking, wreath, and clock) were just begging to be layered into a little scene – so I gave in.  For coloring I used Prismacolor colored pencils (stolen from my daughter – she never used them, and I felt sorry for them, so now they live in my scrapbook tote) and a brown Sharpie for the fireplace. The pencils really blend in a cool way which made my wreath and my fire look pretty nice.  If you don’t already know this – color BEFORE you fussy cut!
 
I used foam tape to give some dimension to the different layers.
 
The pattern paper is from the kit and the yellow cardstock base is from my stash. 
 
I also used a stamping tool since like this one: https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Mini-Misti-Tool--Laser-Etched-x39221169.htm 
 


Card 5
 
This card is just because I made more of the washi background than I needed for card #2, and I really wanted to make a bow out of the ribbon. This one probably would be great to just say hi around the holidays aside from my official Christmas card, like to send with a little holiday bonus for the cleaning lady or my hairdresser. Yes, the card base is back.


 
Card 6
 
While I love the way this card turned out, I will tell you up front it was A HUGE PAIN!  That snowflake die DID NOT LIKE ME, and it hated the silver glitter paper too!!!! (I on the other have LOVE this silver glitter paper – it is a very fine glitter that doesn’t come off at all – and is super sparkly). If you are going to use this die with a glitter paper, I highly recommend a shim, like this one:
 
https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Crafters-Companion-Gemini-Junior-Magnetic-Shim-6X9-2Pkg-x43672636.htm
 
The sentiment is one of the stamps from the kit.  I stamped it using White VersaMark ink, and then brushed really lightly with Perfect Pearls (again using that tool at the end of my arm) and then cut it out.  You can’t see it here, but it shimmers just a little. 
 
The snowflake paper is in the 6x6 pad from the kit.  The Blue card base and white card stock are from my stash.
 

 
Last but definitely NOT least…..
Card 7
 
I hadn’t used any of the cute chipboard or buttons, and I really did like them – so why not put them all on one card! This card would have gone together REALLY quick, except for the fact that I’m not a big fan of “empty” buttons, so I had to add twine to a few. Pro Tip on the chipboard buttons in this kit – they have adhesive that goes all the way across the back and covers the holes.  What worked best for me (after A LOT of frustration trying to poke holes) was to “pry up” the adhesive, run my twine through, and then lay the adhesive back down across the back of the threaded button.
 
I did trace a circle right on my cardstock (thanks, kiwi lane), and a few of the buttons are popped up with extra foam. 
 
The checked paper is from the 6x6 pad and the green base and cotton crochet thread are from my stash.


 
Any questions – don’t hesitate to reach out either through Hannah at the Doodlebug, or to me directly!! The cards are also currently at the Doodlebug in case you want to check them out in person.
 
Product Linkage:
 
Kit - https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Deck-the-Halls-Bundle-x51440265.htm
Gilding Flakes - https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Nuvo-Gilding-Flakes-Silver-Bullionn-x31666086.htm
Catherine Pooler Ink - https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Catherine-Pooler-Ink-pad-Black-Jack-x33686172.htm
Misti Stamping tool - https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Mini-Misti-Tool--Laser-Etched-x39221169.htm
Shim - https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Crafters-Companion-Gemini-Junior-Magnetic-Shim-6X9-2Pkg-x43672636.htm
Glitter paper - https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Pow-Glitter-Paper-Silver-x28708187.htm
Foam Dots - https://www.thedoodlebuginc.com/shop/c/p/Sticky-Thumb-Dimensional-Adhesive-Foam-275Pkg-White-Dots-Assorted-Sizes-x43343813.htm











No comments: