Welcome to The DoodleBLOG!

Hello and welcome to the DoodleBLOG. The official blog of The Doodlebug, Inc. Your scrapbook store, and more!

Thursday, May 2, 2019

WeR Memory Keepers Foil Quill

Hi, Crafters! This is Tina. Have you had a chance to try foiling with the new We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill?  I have always been drawn to foil but the Foil Quill is my favorite method so far.  Check out the Foil Quill and full line of accessories at The Doodlebug Inc!

If you haven’t really looked at the foil quill, it is a device that works as a pen would work in your cutting machine. It comes with several holders that fit in the blade holder of your machine. Since I have a Silhouette Cameo2, the adapter I use is labeled A. 



You can choose which tip you want for your project. The smallest tip is like a fine point pen. Then there are 2 larger tips.  Once you choose the tip size, it screws into the adapter. The adapter is snapped all the way down in the blade holder, the blade holder tightened and you are ready to plug in the tip.



As you can see from the photos, each tip has its own cord and UBS plug.   It is recommended to plug the tip into a separate power device, not the computer you are using to run your cutting machine.  I have used a plug that I can then plug into a power strip.   The foil quill comes with s little metal piece that you are to slip under the tip while it is heating up. It needs to be pulled out before feeding in your work surface.



It recommends at least 5 minutes for warm up. So I have been setting that up before I even pull up my design.  These are the Silhouette Studio settings that I used.



To prepare the surface for foiling make sure to allow extra foil around the edges of the design you are wanting to create.  Some tape is included to tape all the edges of the foil down tightly. The included tape releases from your paper nicely. I have also used washi tape and blue painters tape. They all work. You just want to use a tape that removes from your paper without tearing it. Something to note: make sure to add enough foil so your design doesn’t run into the taped area. I did that at first, thinking I would use smaller pieces of foil.  But the areas covered by tape will not foil correctly.




I have added some photos showing some things I have foiled. I foiled and then cut little tags for a shower.



I applied foil to a bow cut file to add details to a scrapbook page. 










Then I started a scrapbook layout with the foiling. As you can see, I layed out where I thought I wanted my 3 “clusters” of embellishments to go and placed the foil on my base page using the grids on the mat and my screen.







Oh so many ideas dancing in my head for this new gadget!  You can purchase the Foil Quill and accessories at The Doodlebug Inc.

No comments: