Welcome to The DoodleBLOG!

Hello and welcome to the DoodleBLOG. The official blog of The Doodlebug, Inc. Your scrapbook store, and more!

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Ink Blending Using Stencils

Hello Paper Crafters… I've always be intrigued by the beauty of stencils, however, when I tried to use them, the results were not what I wanted.  Then, a couple of wonderful tools were introduced, and I was amazed as to how easy it became to use stencils.  What a difference they made!  These fab tools are the Wendy Vecchi MAKE ART Stay-tion-All-In-One Magnetic Surface and the Picket Fence Studios Life Changing Blender Brushes.

TheMAKE ART Stay-tion is a 12 x 12 inch steel magnetic base with printed grid, four brushed aluminum magnets, and one flexible, magnetic centering ruler.  By placing the magnets on the stencil that is on top your paper everything will be held in place and your stencil will not move.



The Picket Fence StudiosBlender Brushes are ergonomically designed ink blending brushes created for easy application of all water-based ink.  There are assorted sizes to cover fine to broad applications.  They are available in a package of 2, 4, 6, or 10 brushes.  Clean them with gentle soap and water, air dry.

The steps for creating a stencil card follow:


- Place the paper you would like to use for your stencil image on the Wendy Vecchi MAKE ART Stay-tion-All-In One Magnetic Surface.


- Place the stencil on top the paper and use the large magnets to hold the stencil in place.


- Select the water-based ink(s) you would like to use on the stencil.  I used Catherine Pooler and Tim Holtz Distress Oxide ink pads.


- Using the Picket Fence Studios Life Changing Blender Brushes, pick up the ink color and rub off the brush on a craft mat and then, begin going over the stencil in a circular motion. For more color, continue adding ink to the brush and coloring over the areas you would like to have more color. Also, don't be afraid to mix colors together forming new, beautifully blended colors.




- When you have completed inking through the stencil, remove the magnets and pick up the stencil.  Be prepared to be amazed.

 

- Clean your stencil with a baby wipe and remove the ink from your brush by rubbing off on your craft mat or towel.

-That's it!  So easy. 

I want to share with you some of the cards I created with these tools and stencils...

For the first two cards, I wondered how the ink would look if used on different colors of paper.  The card on the left was created with a cream-colored sheet of cardstock.  The card on the right was created with the Lawn Fawn Narwhal (grey colored) cardstock.  The stencil is "Lovely Lace" from Gina K Designs.  I used the Catherine Pooler "Royal Treatment" ink on both.  However, on the Narwhal cardstock, I used "Sugared Lavender" in the center for a lighter color.  The result...


The cream-colored card was completed with...

  • Foundation Decor - Foundation Paper Plaid/Dots "Purple"
  • Jillibean Soup - Flower Bloom "Sorry - you are in my thoughts" stamp, which we received as a gift at one of The Doodlebug Retreats at Santa's Lodge.  Did I mention before how wonderful the goody bags are at The Doodlebug Retreats!!!

The grey colored card was completed with...




The Picket Fence Studios "Heart ofFlowers" stencil and Catherine Pooler "Daydream" ink were used on the next card.



This card was completed with...

  • Simple Stories Heart - 2 x 2 Elements paper
  • Simple Stories Heart - Remember paper

Outside and inside of the card...





The Gina K Designs "Floral" art stencil and the Catherine Pooler "Eucalyptus,"" Green Tea," and"Rose Petals"
 inks were used on the next card.





This card was completed with...

  • Kaisercraft Scrap Studios - Splatter paper (used elements from the front and back of this sheet)
  • Kaisercraft Morning Dew - Tranquil paper (for the inside mat)
Outside and inside of the card...




The CE Stencil- Crackled Brick Stencil and the Catherine Pooler "Eucalyptus" ink were used on the next card.


This card was completed with...

  • Foundation Decor  - Foundation Paper Plaid/Dots - Green
  • Copic markers
  • Large flower from the Gina K - Theresa Momber Daisy Delight stamp set

Outside and inside of the card...


For the final card, I used the Picket Fence Studios "Floral" stencil and the Tim Holtz by Ranger Distress Oxide inks including "MustardSeed," "Ripe Persimmon," and "Aged Mahogany."  It was so fun to see what happened as they blended together.



This card was completed with...

  • Adornit Vintage Groove Collection - Fall in Love Paper
  • Gina K Designs "All About You" stamp set
  • Gina K Designs Double Stitched Circles Dies - Small and Large








Since this is my last blog as a Doodlebug Design Team member, I wanted to express my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to  Hannah Thyen for having the best scrapbook store around and giving everyone the opportunity to try out for the Doodlebug Design Team.  It's been an awesome experience.  I've broadened my paper crafting horizons and loved working with all the new product.  Also, a big thank you to Leigh Ann Frick for being the Design Team coordinator.  To my fellow Design Team Members...it was an honor crafting with you and seeing your beautiful projects.  Most importantly, thank you to The Doodlebug customers that read our blogs and offer words of encouragement and happy comments.  I can't thank you enough.  A special thank you to my beautiful friends Leah and Haley for many of the awesome pictures I used with my projects, and, to my travel buddies that shared this journey with me.  You made it so much fun.  I wish the next Doodlebug Design Team days of happy crafting.  You are a talented group, and I can't wait to see what you create!  Although I didn't try out for the next team, I will continue to share some of my projects with you, and I look forward to seeing many of you at The Doodlebug classes and retreats!      


Visit The Doodlebug, Inc., in Jasper, IN, to see more of the beautiful stencils and other products shown in this blog; or, shop online at The Doodlebug! 

Thanks for checking out my stencil projects.  Happy crafting with The Doodlebug!

Melody

1 comment:

Tina Johnson said...

Melody, what an awesome post. I love stencils. So glad to see such a detailed post with beautiful cards made with your stenciling. Beautiful work, as always!