Welcome to The DoodleBLOG!

Hello and welcome to the DoodleBLOG. The official blog of The Doodlebug, Inc. Your scrapbook store, and more!

Sunday, August 16, 2020

STEPPING OUT OF THE 12 X 12 SQUARE

Hi Scrappy Friends,

When you think about basic scrapbooking, the first thing that comes to mind is a 12 x 12 sheet of paper, embellishments and your favorite photos. We work diligently to get our pages just right and make the "perfect layout". Then, we loving store them away in our protective sleeves, add them to our albums and store them on a shelf. I personally own about 50 completed albums. My albums consist of vacation, holidays, sports, heritage, pet and special books for each of my 6 grandchildren. To me all of my albums are priceless, hold so many memories and are the product of hours upon hours of work. I am "quite sure" all 4 my grown up sons will fight over them some day, at least that's what I have convinced myself. (wink-wink)

Several years ago, it occurred to me that every layout I created was being put away, out of sight and out of mind. I wanted to see my hard work so I decided to buy a canvas, after a few you-tube videos, I was ready to go.  I was using the same paper, embellishments, chipboard, a few personal treasures, my photos and a host of mixed media products I always had. After some trial and error, "Voila" my first canvas was created. I was hooked. This canvas is not hidden away, it hangs in my craft-room where I can see it everyday.



Since that first altered project, I have created many. I have experimented on more canvases. I did a wine bottle that has a picture of my great-grandparents on their wedding day. I have done several shadow box frames. One of my favorite things to try, was working on a vinyl album (I'm admitting my age here, I am referring to a record-vinyl album). My husband and I's, favorite song is "If" by Bread. I used one of our copies of the Mania Album, took black gesso, lots of paint, flowers, some stencils and again just put it all together on an experimental "give it a try". I printed out a few of the lyrics and added those on too. I have it displayed on a plate holder and it sits on our dresser. I am currently scouting out the antique stores for a 45 vinyl copy of "Puppy Love". I want to do a layout on it, of our sweet family dog Curly, that we recently lost. Also, another project up on my scrapbook table is a recycled dresser drawer, that I intend to do a scrapbook page on the inside of, using Christmas theme product. It will stand next to my Christmas Tree. You will be seeing that one real soon.



Don't be afraid to take a step out of the 12 x 12 flat square. Do some experimenting on different surfaces that you have never tried to use before. Look for items you can recycle. The ideas and possibilities are endless. Have fun with it and get your hands messy. You work hard on it your creations, so show them off, don't store them all away on a shelf. The Holidays are coming up quickly,  Canvases and 3-D frames, make great and very meaningful gifts. Show and share your ideas and altered projects on the Doodle Dish, we all need the inspiration. Happy Scrapping, talk to you on the blog again, in a few weeks.

Dolores

No comments: